The Chalet Chef is responsible for all food production in the chalets and catering events.
Develop menus, food purchase specifications and recipes. Develop and monitor food budget. Maintain highest professional food quality and sanitation standards.
The hours are long and the job is physically and emotionally demanding and you need to be good at working as part of a team, both in leadership and supporting roles. You must have extremely high work standards, be customer-focused, self-motivated, take pride in your work at all times and be conscientious and highly organized. The Chalet Chef is has primary responsibility for the success of the guests’ holiday.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Ability to interact positively with supervisor, management, coworkers, members, and the public to promote a team effort and maintain a positive and professional approach.
- Ensures that high standards of sanitation, cleanliness and safety are maintained throughout all kitchen areas at all times.
- Establishes controls to minimize food and supply waste.
- Safeguards all food preparation employees by implementing training to increase their knowledge about safety, sanitation and accident prevention principles.
- Develops standard recipes and techniques for food preparation and presentation which help to assure consistently high quality and to minimize food costs; exercises portion control for all items served.
- Consults with the Commercial Kitchen Manager about food production aspects of special events being planned.
- Cooks or directly supervises the cooking of items that require skillful preparation.
- Ensures proper staffing for maximum productivity and high standards of quality.
- Evaluates food products to assure that quality standards are consistently attained.
- Interacts with food and beverage management to assure that food production consistently exceeds the expectations of members and guests.
- In conjunction with the chalet team, assist in maintaining a high level of service principles in accordance with established standards.
- Establishes and maintains a regular cleaning and maintenance schedule for all kitchen areas and equipment.
- Provides training and professional development opportunities for all kitchen/chalet assistants.
- Support safe work habits and a safe working environment at all times.
- Ability to produce a high volume of work in a timely manner, which is accurate, complete, and of high quality.
- Ability to come to work regularly and on time, to follow directions, to take criticism, to get along with co-workers and supervisors, to treat co-workers, supervisors and members/guests with respect and courtesy, and to refrain from abusive, insubordinate and/or violent behavior.
- Inspect food preparation and serving areas to ensure observance of safe, sanitary food-handling practices.
- Season and cook food according to recipes or personal judgment and experience.
- Observe and test foods to determine if they have been cooked sufficiently, using methods such as tasting, smelling, or piercing them with utensils.
- Weigh, measure, and mix ingredients according to recipes or personal judgment, using various kitchen utensils and equipment.
- Portion, arrange, and garnish food, and serve food to waiters or patrons.
- Substitute for or assist other cooks during emergencies or rush periods.
- Wash, peel, cut, and seed fruits and vegetables to prepare them for consumption.
- Estimate expected food consumption; then requisition or purchase supplies, or procure food from storage.
- Carve and trim meats such as beef, veal, ham, pork, and lamb for hot or cold service, or for sandwiches.
- Consult with supervisory staff to plan menus, taking into consideration factors such as costs and special event needs.
- Butcher and dress animals, fowl, or shellfish, or cut and bone meat prior to cooking.
- Bake breads, rolls, cakes, and pastries.
- Prepare relishes and hors d'oeuvres.
- Perform other duties as directed.
- Creates a warm, friendly and welcoming atmosphere for all guests
- Is available to answer questions or resolve any problems that the guests may have, always aiming to do whatever can reasonably be done to ensure that guests have the best possible holiday
- Knowledgeable about the chalet, resort, and surrounding area
- Ensures an effective handover to the relief team (who provide cover on your day off) so that the standard of service is maintained
- Leads in the coordination and resolution of all matters relating to the day to day running of the chalet, the assignment of work within the chalet team and the well-being of the guests
- Ensures that excellent standards of hygiene and cleanliness are maintained in/around the chalet at all times. Cleans and straightens the following areas daily (kitchen, food storage areas and dining room/area are the chef's responsibility):
- Vacuums and/or mops floors/carpets in all rooms and corridors
- Refreshes sofa and other cushions
- Makes beds
- Straightens guests' bedrooms
- Ensures that all household equipment is maintained in the best possible condition; reports and arranges any repairs and replacements promptly to the Operations Manager
Service : Meals/Drinks/Other
- Helps the chef in the preparation of breakfast and dinner as required. Also serves, clears and washes up
- Lays out and clears away afternoon tea
- Helps the chef in the preparation of menus, packed lunches, any children's requirements and dinner as required
- Sets table, serves and clears
This position involves both office and outside based work and requires an individual to:
- Must have a valid driver’s license with a clean record
- Regularly lift and/or move up to 20 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds or more
- Stand outside in freezing temperatures and inclement weather and walk on slippery surfaces
- Lift, reach, crawl and climb
- Able to get in and out of a vehicle
- Able to sit or stand for long periods of time
- Able to work in any inclement weather
- Regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel
- Must be able to stoop, crouch, kneel, climb, crawl & walk
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus
- Ability to use the following communication tools:
- Text Messaging
- Company Networking programs
- Able to learn all aspects of housekeeping in a resort environment.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
· Customer Service
· Food Handling
· Innovative approach to problem solving
· Desire to learn
· Strong communication skills
· Client Relations
· Personal Time Management
· Build and maintain relationships with guests
· Organize and prioritize tasks and deadlines
· Work in team environment
· Drive in hazardous winter conditions on mountainous roads
· Present ideas in a clear, concise, understandable, and organized manner
EDUCATION, TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
· Experience in hospitality, food service, customer service
· Must have a clean Driver’s License and Background check
Technical Skills and Prior Experience
- Strong customer service skills
- Extremely detail orientated
- Personable and able to deal with variety of personality types
- Flexible working hours and ability to work on weekends
- Able to work autonomously but also as a team player
- Positive attitude to solving problems
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to multi-task, work under pressure and a dedication meet deadlines required
- Willing to go above and beyond and do more
The marginal functions of this position have not been included. This job description in no way implies that these are the only duties to be performed. An employee will be required to follow any other job-related duties required by the manager.
Compensation $150-$200 USD/day plus tips