We have a truly unique opportunity available with a fantastic company based in Morzine, French Alps. We are recruiting for a permanent, all year round Resort Manager to join an incredibly successful catered ski/summer chalet company. This annual position allows you to relocate to the beautiful French Alps to live on a long-term basis, but with plenty of holidays included in the package to visit home or head off on inter-season travels.
It is rare that Resort Manager roles are all year round, and even rarer that they can be suitable for a couple. We are able to consider not just single applicants, but couples too - making the role a joint management position.
The company owners are UK based, with regular visits to resort, so as Resort Manager you will have overall responsibility for the day to day running of the company. You will have the independence and flexibility to run the company your way, with the support of the UK directors, providing you continue to reflect the company's brand and values. The company already has an unrivaled reputation in resort with suppliers, staff, guests and the local community. There is relatively little staff turnover and a number of staff and guests alike return year on year.
This is a great opportunity to become an integral member of the senior management team. It is not being offered as a seasonal position but rather with long-term vision with the potential to be offered a profit share of the company. You will be expected to commit to a minimum of 3 years.
It is essential you/one of you can speak French.
- Enforcing the company's standards of daily operations
- Acting as a pivotal link between the UK office/directors, guests, staff and suppliers
- Regularly liaising with and updating the UK office
- Making provisions for disasters/problems etc in conjunction with the UK office.
- Representing the company in a positive, efficient, professional and friendly manner to guests, staff and suppliers
- Whilst your main job is in a general duty management capacity as detailed under the following headings, you will be expected to be flexible in order to assist staff where necessary and help out in all aspects of resort operations as required.
- Managing your resort staff on a day-to-day basis; comprising a team of approximately 12 in the winter season and approximately 7 in the summer season.
- Monitoring of staff rotas and duties to ensure that workload is fairly and evenly distributed where possible.
- Regular managerial checks across all areas of operations.
- Preparing and coordinating comprehensive pre-season training and end of season closedown periods.
- Coordinating changeover day.
- Holding staff meetings to discuss forthcoming guest arrivals, gauging guest feedback, forwarding instructions received from the UK office and discussing internal company/staff matters.
- Recruiting, training and managing extra staff as necessary (e.g. changeover day, covering illness etc).
- Ensuring and maintaining a good relationship between guests and staff.
- Ensuring staff fully respect and look after the company's properties and assets.
- Ensuring that staff wear the correct clothing and are presentable.
- Ensuring that staff comport themselves in a professional and respectful manner.
- Acting as leader, enforcer, best friend, spy, mother/father, teacher and counsellor!
- Being prepared to make difficult and unpopular decisions if necessary.
- Taking overall responsibility in resort for the success of our guests' holidays.
- Meeting guests to gauge feedback in person and behind the scenes.
- Communicating guests' needs and requirements effectively to the workforce.
- Ensuring relevant resort information is made available to guests.
- Preparing welcome packs and monitoring payments.
- Ensuring that any major incidents/issues involving guests (e.g. accidents and emergencies) are promptly and effectively dealt with.
- Dealing with complaints in close conjunction with the UK office.
Suppliers and Maintenance
- Building personal relationships and maintaining the company's relationships and reputation with suppliers.
- Working closely with suppliers to order and manage all supplies and services. This should be carried out in an efficient, timely and cost-effective manner, whilst balancing the sometimes conflicting needs of the company with the cultural indifference towards timescales in France!
- Raising supplier problems with the UK office (e.g. quality of produce/service, deliveries etc).
- Regular communication and liaison with the managing director.
- Monitoring damage, breakages and defects within all properties, and organising prompt repairs.
- Undertaking maintenance to properties, grounds and vehicles in the inter-season (e.g. repairs, improvements, general upkeep, gardening etc). N.B. a designated maintenance rep is employed in-season.
- Reviewing, conducting and managing all inventories in liaison with the UK office, including inventory supplies, particularly in the inter-season and pre-season.
Vehicles, Driving and Logistics
- Responsibility for the cleaning, equipping and maintaining of the company's minibus fleet.
- Ensuring all vehicles are fully compliant with professional transport requirements e.g. roadworthiness, equipment and documentation. This includes daily and weekly vehicle checks.
- Overseeing the weekly transfer logistics in conjunction with a UK director.
- In winter, coordinating and assisting with the pre- & post-skiing 'shuttle' service to/from the ski lifts/pistes.
- In summer, coordinating and assisting with transport to/from activity locations and excursions.
- Driving safely and responsibly at all times. Being knowledgeable about, and complying with, French and Swiss driving/traffic/parking rules and regulations, whilst training and monitoring all drivers.
- Ensuring that all vehicles are secured from loss or damage at all times.
- Managing a variety of administrative duties
The successful applicant/s must possess and demonstrate the following:
- Strong team leading skills
- Good decision making skills
- Conversation French is essential
- Full clean driving license
- Physical and mental toughness
- Flexibility yet extremely organized
- Good levels of attention to detail
- Able to prioritise a heavy workload
- Ability to earn the respect of the staff and to lead by example
- Keen interest in snow and summer sports
- If applying as a couple - property maintenance experience.
- Strong and confident knowledge of the tourism and catering industry
- Previous seasonal experience
- Previous customer service experience
- Strong management experience, especially staff management
- Competitive salary
- Accommodation in resort
- Flight allowance
- Winter lift pass
- Summer multiple activity pass
- Winter sports insurance
- 8 weeks holiday per annum - to be taken in off season months
- Potential for a profit share in the business
PLEASE NOTE: YOU WILL BE REQUIRED TO ATTEND A FACE TO FACE REGISTRATION WITH SILVER SWAN RECRUITMENT